There is a certain way that we want to do things at EPIC. We encourage every partner at EPIC to live out the EPIC way in order to serve others well and glorify God.
- Pray first: We often act first then ask God to bless our efforts. We will be a community that prays first. Before we do anything else, we need to pray. Before Jesus selected his disciples he went to the mountain to pray and all night he continued to pray (Luke 6). And when he came down he called his disciples. This must be our pattern.
- Delight in sharing: 1 Thessalonians 2:8 says, “we were delighted to share with you not only the Gospel of God but our lives as well because you had become so dear to us.” We want our service to be a delight not a burden. We want people to see the love and joy of God spilling over in our service to other people. In addition, people matter so much to us that we are delighted to share the most precious thing entrusted to us (the Gospel of Jesus Christ) and our very lives!
- Create a good first impression: The first 7 minutes are crucial! In that amount of time many people will decide whether or not they will come back. Long before they hear music or the message they have decided if they will return. Guests are asking questions like…are people friendly? Am I greeted? Do I sense that people care about me? Are there signs telling me what to do and where to go? Is it clean? Will my kids be safe? Are the volunteers ready and excited to watch my kids? You’re role as a volunteer is HUGE!
- We cannot act as individuals! God desires unity and teamwork: See 1 Corinthians 12 and John 17… In John 17, Jesus prayed that we would be one as He and the Father are one. We care deeply about the unity of the body; therefore, we forgive quickly, get offended slowly, and seek to do only that which is good for the building up of the body. In 1 Corinthians 12, Paul tells us that everyone is needed and everyone plays an important role in the Body of Christ. No one person can do everything so we can NEVER act as individuals but must always see our need for one another. We are called to individually represent Jesus in the world, but more important is the way that the people of God (the corporate Body of Christ) represents Jesus together. How we love, serve, forgive, work together, and sacrifice within the Body of Christ is crucial to our witness.
- God’s Glory above all else: We exist to bring God glory so everything we do is focused towards that end. Among other things, we recognize that this is Jesus’ church, not ours! There is no place for agendas or pride. In addition, this means that we celebrate! God is full of joy and He commands His people to rejoice and be filled with joy. Maybe the worst thing ever is a church of joyless people. Therefore, we are smiling people and a people who celebrate often the great things that God has done! Lastly, we do things with excellence because God is worthy of such effort. God deserves the first and best part of what we have to offer. We do not do things well for “excellence sake;” rather we do things well because God deserves it and it makes a difference. For example, a clean, safe, fun, interactive, and Christ-centered children’s ministry will impact a child in a way that a half-cooked ministry with indifferent volunteers. A good transition in between songs can keep a person focused on worshipping God whereas poor flow can lead people to get distracted. Greeting someone when they arrive to church can encourage someone greatly but a lack of friendliness will cause a person to never come back. Excellence matters and God deserves it!